Types of Cloth Diapers

Continuing in our debunking some of the myths about cloth diapers, I wanted to address the types of cloth diapers that are around today. Most of the responses I get from generations before me is "you won't like cloth diapers so much when you stick yourself in the middle of the night!" and I will admit, the first time I heard this, I was a little confused. That's because I had only seen modern cloth diapers, and didn't know the woes of flat diapers, pins, and plastic pants. So, let's take a little look at some of the types of diapers that are out there now!

Flats/Prefolds with Cover
These are classic cloth diapers, and the most cost efficient. Why reinvent the wheel, right? The good thing about these is that covers have replaced plastic pants and snappis/boingos have replaced pins. Covers are made of soft fabric that fits well around the waist and legs, have adjustable rise settings, and lined with a waterproof fabric called PUL (some companies use TPU, but this is basically the sealant on the fabric that makes everything waterproof).

Pocket diapers
Pocket diapers are probably my favorite because of their versatility. These diapers have a shell that is waterproof PUL or TPU, and then have a second layer of fabric over that with a "pocket" left open in the back to stuff your absorbent inserts inside. These come in newborn, sized, and one size diapers. You can stuff them with multiple options such as: Flour Sack Towels, Cotton prefolds, Microfiber inserts, Bamboo inserts, Hemp inserts, and even old t-shirts.

AIO (All in One)
AIO diapers are exactly like they sound, everything is in one piece. I like these diapers for daycare and family members that don't use cloth very often. The guess work is taken out, and these are the closest thing to a disposable. Downside to AIO diapers, they don't offer much flexibility when it comes to absorbency. The layers that are sewn in, is what you get.

What do I use? 

I use a variety of all of the above for different scenarios. My number one go to is a One Size pocket diaper with snaps. I like the versatility of this diaper, and with my little girl being a heavy wetter, I can get enough absorbency without her having a massive bottom. My favorite brand so far is Happy Beehinds Perfect Fit Pocket Diaper. These fit as soon as the newborn diapers were too small and were never too bulky. My favorite insert is the HBH thirsty hemp/bamboo combo. 

A trick that I like to use while travelling: We don't use cloth on long trips. I don't like to figure out how to wash on long road trips, and we have a tiny car with very little room for a large wet bag. However....Disposables have blowouts. So I will use a Double Gussett One Size diaper cover OVER a disposable. It keeps everything right where it's supposed to be, and I still get use out of my cloth diapers, just in a different way! 

What else would you like to know? Leave me a comment with all of your cloth diaper questions, or tell me some of your favorite diaper hacks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why choose cloth diapers? The money savings!